By Ryan Humphries
Co-Owner: Axistence Athletics
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
- Henry Ford
If you've ever dropped the C-Word in a session with me, then you've likely heard my snarky comeback:
"Not with that attitude"
Yeah, its cheesy and I say it with a smile, but I'm also 100% serious. If I hear someone saying out loud that they CAN'T do something, then they're already two steps closer to NOT doing that thing...
The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu once said:
"Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
Humor me as we take a journey with ole Lao's wisdom and see what happens when we drop the C-word :)
- Watch your thoughts: You think to yourself, "I can't"
- They become your words: You say aloud to yourself and/or others "I can't"
- They become your actions: You don't even try. Why would you? You just said you can't do it.
- Watch your actions, they become your habits: You become consistent at not trying...
- Watch your habits, they become your character: You now have a story about how many times you have "not" done the thing. Now you're really starting to BELEIVE that you can't do it!
- Watch your character, it becomes your destiny: You truly can't.
Don't get it twisted, this isn't some "fake it till you make it" kind of thing. It takes a lot more than just sitting around burning sage, playing with crystals, and saying "I think I can" to actually get results. Until you take action on the thing you want to change, it's just a wish.
However, our wishes DO start with our thoughts. Imagine what might happen if you thought to yourself "I might just be able to do that" or "I wonder what it feels like to do that?" or even "I can't do that, YET". Well, those thoughts will get you a whole hell of a lot closer than just saying "I can't".
I'm a dreamer, but I'm also a realist and I do understand that it's entirely possible that you may NOT actually be able to do the thing, and that's ok. However, if you even start to think that there's a slight possibility, well now you're on a different journey...
Be wary of your thoughts my friends, for they might just create your destiny.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Our coaches research and report on all things regarding fitness, adventure and the community within.